Saturday, September 12, 2009

Indi-vidual-iz-ed

It was just funny to read an article starting from development of ENIAC, first fully electronic computer, for invented for military aids, to Electronic Superhighway, an installation piece by Nam June Paik. I always thought I couldn't understand performance or installation piece. Impressions I have about them are eerie sounds, dreamy images and illogical videos. But through essay by Randall Packer and Ken Jorden I could see how those relate to Facebook where I log in almost every day. Through computers, more specifically the Internet, I express my individuality.
Rather than on Facebook, I have another social community website account. Cyworld, that is Korean based, is often referred to as "mini hompy (mini homepage.)" I can do social communicate like as Facebook also I upload photographs and artworks on Cyworld. Friends or random people view, leave comments, and scrap to their mini hompy. Keeping them updated regularly usually make me feel better. What should I say, I feel more confident, proud of myself because I'm presenting my creations and thoughts - unique and special.

Although I didn't agree before now I understand how performance pieces are critical in modern art history. I thought it was some kind of art for weirdoes but there are no differences between me keeping mini hompy and doing performance art. Everything is about personal expression, individual choices whether I'm in front of computer or experiencing an interactive exhibition at museum. Ones in the museum require audiences to do more intense activities, five or maybe six senses to enjoy the arts. Interaction of all senses, expansion of human experience at one time and viewers' participation are indeed facts I did not know about contemporary non-traditional artworks that originated from engineer's technology development.
I should check out BMA or some other museums soon since I understand video or installation artists' intentions a little more. I should try feeling physical and psychological sensation!!

No comments: