Monday, October 5, 2009

John Ca-g-e

I remember my first encounter to John Cage in 2008 summer. I was participating Missouri Fine Arts Academy, a summer camp for selected high school students who are visual, vocal, instrumental, dance, dedicated to explore the interdisciplinary art. There were mini concerts and show case throughout the camp from students and faculties. One of them featured Cage’s work. I don’t remember who performed but it was Cage’s 4’33 piano version.

.
.
.

I wanted to see orchestra version after the end of the performance.


As if he was defining the undefinables, Cage’s ability to perceive and recreate definition of sound intrigues me. Although he had no desire for harmony, music he composed has structures, “not necessarily connected or disconnected” according to Mr. Cunningham. Relating back to Fluxus movement, Cage was one of the leading artists who expressed that music doesn’t have to be traditional or elegant.

When I heard 4"33, I just couldn't say anything about it. I was surrounded by some kind of music all the time yet often fail to acknowledge them. 4'33 forced me to feel the presence of sound. There were other about 400 students in the stadium, somebody coughing, clothes and papers rustling , low bass machine were few subtle sound I remember. Then another form of overwhelming sound after the perfomance: people clapping, whispering, chair squeak, footstep sound ... I felt I was in the middle of the universe of invisible sound world, lost within.


I wish I could find sound of true sound within me.
With no limit, just full of sounds surrounding me as Cage searched for his entire life.

No comments: